The rules for posting are simple!

1. Every Friday post a photo that includes one or more flowers.
2. Please only post photos you have authority to use.
3. Include a link to this blog in your post - http://floralfridayfoto.blogspot.com/
4. Leave the link to your FloralFridayFoto post below on inlinkz.
5. Visit other blogs listed ... comment & enjoy!

When to Post:
inlinkz will be available every Thursday and will remain open until the next Wednesday.

Thursday 4 December 2014

FFF159 - BUTTERFLY BUSH

Butterfly Bush, or to give it its proper name, Clerodendrum myricoides 'Ugandense', is a spectacular plant, especially when the butterfly-shaped flowers cover it. Native to tropical Africa, Butterfly Bush is a sprawling evergreen shrub with a weak upright habit. It grows to 2m to 3 m tall in its native habitat.

From Spring through Autumn the delicate and intricate flowers appear, suggestive of a butterfly in flight. Black, fleshy fruit follows the blooms. It should be planted in part to full (coastal) sun and irrigated regularly. It is hardy to about -7˚C. It can be pruned back continually to keep the plant more compact.

This species from East Africa (originally described from Kenya and not Uganda) will take rather cooler conditions than most tropical clerodendrums. No serious insect or disease problems. Watch for aphids and whitefly.

Join me for Floral Friday Fotos by linking your flower photos below, and please leave a comment once you have done so!
If you link your post here, it is common courtesy to show a link back to this site on your blog post...

16 comments:

  1. Hi Nick,
    I love all these purple flowers. So beautiful !
    Best regards, Synnöve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty ,I like the blue. I've never seen before, in Germany is to cold...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh...these flowers are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The flowers really look like butterflies - very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an apt name! lovely as well as cheerful:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A gorgeous looking flower, the bush must look amazing at its full height.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yet another new flower for me, and as always, beautifully photographed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You seem to have endless resources for your photography.
    I am hard put to find anything worthwhile florally at present.
    Today's plant is so entrancing. Minus 7 degrees tolerance would make it a possibility here, but I doubt if I will ever see it for sale.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these little blue blossoms ♥
    Wish you a nice weekend
    moni

    Thanks if you visit my blog
    http://www.reflexionblog.de

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a spectacular plant! I love the shape AND the color. Unfortunately for me, Virginia is too cold for this plant :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heisann!

    This is the most beautiful butterfly bush I have ever seen! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic. Such a lovely bush!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Nick, thank you for always nice comments on my Blogside. Thank you too for Hosting this theme: Floral beauties each Friday. Your Bloom looks so lovely! We don't know a Butterfly Bush here in Germany. I wish to see this and other things in Australia ..... And maybe, my husband and myself Travel in this fantastic continent with a Goldwing ;) That is a Dream ....

    ... Wish you a good Advent, Cheers Heidrun

    ReplyDelete